The Child First Plan
Yesterday morning, Stephen Mandel and our Alberta Party team released “The Child First Plan“, which is one of the most ambitious plan for early learning and child care in Alberta. I’m proud to be part of a team with a forward-looking child care plan. Our plan builds in flexibility for parents and quality options for kids!
- Our Children First plan applies to all licensed child care spaces in the province. There are over 260,000 Albertan children and more than 100,000 Albertan families to whom our program would apply.
- Vouchers will provide a subsidy — on a sliding scale depending on family income — of up to 100 per cent of child-care costs.
- The voucher will “follow the child”, putting decision-making in the hands of families rather than the government.
- The voucher can be used at any licensed child care and will provide a subsidy of up to 100% of the costs of a child care cost.
- A new investment credit will be established to encourage employers to create licensed child care spaces for children of employees.
- Parents attending post-secondary education and those earning minimum wage will receive a 100% subsidy of their child care costs.
- A comprehensive review of Alberta’s child care legislation will be undertaken, with a view to making it easier to create more licensed, safe, affordable, high-quality child care spaces.